Nov 10, 2013
November 10, 2013
Big Idea - God desires an obedient and sacrificial heart from us.
1 Samuel 15:22-23 Then Samuel said: Does the Lord take pleasure in burnt offerings and sacrifices as much as in obeying the Lord? Look: to obey is better than sacrifice, to pay attention is better than the fat of rams. For rebellion is like the sin of divination, and defiance is like wickedness and idolatry. Because you have rejected the word of the Lord, He has rejected you as king. Deuteronomy 15:7-11 "If there is a poor person among you, one of your brothers within any of your gates in the land the Lord your God is giving you, you must not be hardhearted or tightfisted toward your poor brother. Instead, you are to open your hand to him and freely loan him enough for whatever need he has. Be careful that there isn't this wicked thought in your heart, 'The seventh year, the year of canceling debts, is near,' and you are stingy toward your poor brother and give him nothing. He will cry out to the Lord against you, and you will be guilty. Give to him, and don't have a stingy heart when you give, and because of this the Lord your God will bless you in all your work and in everything you do. For there will never cease to be poor people in the land; that is why I am commanding you, 'You must willingly open your hand to your afflicted and poor brother in your land.'
1. Jacob feared God despite the fear of Esau.
Psalm 112:1, 7-8 Hallelujah! Happy is the man who fears the Lord, taking great delight in His commands. He will not fear bad news; his heart is confident, trusting in the Lord. His heart is assured; he will not fear. In the end he will look in triumph on his foes.
2. Jacob obeyed God by remembering His promises
- He gives power to the faint (Isaiah 40:29-31)
- We will be filled when we hunger and thirst for righteousness. (Matthew 5:6)
- He wipes away our sins and remembers them no more. (Isaiah 43:25)
- He will never stop loving us. (Isaiah 54:10)
- He will answer our prayers when we abide in Him (John 15:7)
- He will take away our fears. (Psalm 91:3-6)
- He promises rest for our soul because He is the author and perfecter of our faith.
3. Jacob sacrifices many possessions to obey God
Genesis 32:13-21 2 Corinthians 9:6-8 Remember this: The person who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and the person who sows generously will also reap generously. Each person should do as he has decided in his heart - not reluctantly or out of necessity, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make every grace overflow to you, so that in every way, always having everything you need, you may excel in every good work.
- Perspective: We cannot compromise sacrifice for obedience, or obedience for sacrifice.
- Heart: Do you desire to bring God glory through obedience and sacrifice?
- Psalm 119
- Personal Praxis: Pray about a way that you can sacrifice for God's glory, and then do it.
- Community Praxis: Sacrifice your time for the people at Two Rivers Church.
Note: all scripture references are in HCSB